POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld final version (for now) : Re: Ringworld final version (for now) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:27:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld final version (for now)
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 24 Jun 2010 08:40:01
Message: <web.4c23513132f2bada6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> For the time being, this is my final development around the Ringworld. Not
> perfect, I know, but enough to close this stage of development. More will
> come in the (near) future, or so I hope.

Very nice.

One of the real problems with rendering the ringworld is that the effect as seen
from the surface is quite subtle - the arch is very narrow, the base lost in
haze and cloud cover - unless you make it the focus of a view you might not even
notice it. The near-infinite horizon, while it would be fascinating to see it
IRL, is difficult to convince in cg. The only other thing to do is to
incorporate the rim walls, or do a space-based view, both of which require much
more creativity and modelling skills.

I've got a landscape kind of underway, so I might use it later on to try out my
ringworld backdrop. :)